Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Stay off the grass?????

Yesterday I took Maddie to our neighborhood park.  It is a few blocks away and at the other end of a huge open grassy area. Along the grassy area is a sidewalk.  When Maddie and I got to the grassy area, she immediately said "Come on Daddy, let's go this way" and took off into the grass.  My initial response was to tell her to come back and walk on the sidewalk, which she did.  As we walked I started thinking about that sidewalk and Maddies desire to take the grass and I had a few revelations...So please allow me to share.

A sidewalk is a clear path with a known ending.  I know that if I stay on this path, I will get from point a to point b and know exactly how I will get there.  Little in the way of surprise or discovery. When I see a sidewalk, I almost always take it without even thinking.  I know that following the pavement will get me where I need with as little surprise as possible because I need to get where I'm going....the sooner the better.  But not Maddie.  What I didn't realize is that she saw the POSSIBILITY of the grass.  The discovery of what is "out there" excited her.  The idea of making her own path was freeing.  She wasn't so caught up in the destination. 

Somewhere along the way, we suffocate that sense of adventure that is so readily available in our children. At some point we get caught up in the destination and lose sight of the beauty of the journey.  We all end up taking the known way instead of striking out on a new path, unsure of what lies ahead, but excited to see what's around the corner.  My daughter was just wanting to enjoy the walk and the blessings that were all around us.  She was living in the moment...and there I was, without thinking, telling her to get on the sidewalk...don't take risks....just take the easy way.  That goes against just about everything I want for my daughter.

I stopped walking and told Maddie to lead the way...we were going the way she wanted to.  Of course she immediately went for the grass.  It took us about 5 minutes longer than it would have if we walked on the sidewalk.  We did a couple of circles....a few zig zags....and a couple of stops.  We saw a beetle walking through the grass and Maddie was captivated.  Lots of questions and giggles as she watched the little bug scurry around.  I have no doubt that the smile on my daughter's face was a little brighter than if we'd taken that old sidewalk.

We all get caught up in routines.  Without knowing it, we all get stuck in a life of ritual and "sameness".  If your life is boring or if you don't feel like there is anything new under the sun...my guess is that you have been on the sidewalk far too long.  What is in your "grass"?  A new job?  A trip to a new country?  Perhaps talking to someone new?  Maybe you'll realize that you are capable of more than you believe.  Maybe you'll find that life is still full of excitement and wonder...if you'll just get off the sidewalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment